Hearing on "An Assessment of the CCP’s Economic Ambitions, Plans, and Metrics of Success"
Thursday, April 15, 2021
Unable to see this video? Click here.
9:30 AM – 9:40 AM: Opening Remarks: Hearing Co-Chairs Vice Chairman Robin Cleveland and Commissioner Michael Wessel
9:40 AM – 11:20 AM: Panel I: The Chinese Communist Party’s Economic Ambitions: Is the Past Prologue?
- Matt Pottinger, Distinguished Visiting Fellow, Hoover Institution [Testimony]
- Miles Yu, Senior Fellow, Hudson Institute; Visiting Fellow, Hoover Institution [Testimony]
- Loren Brandt, Noranda Chair Professor of Economics, University of Toronto [Testimony]
11:20 AM – 11:30 AM: Break
11:30 AM – 12:30 PM: Panel II: Understanding China’s Economic Drivers and Ecosystem
- Jude Blanchette, Freeman Chair in China Studies, Center for Strategic and International Studies [Testimony]
- Ling Chen, Assistant Professor of Political Economy, Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies [Testimony]
12:30 PM – 1:15 PM: Lunch Break
1:15 PM – 2:45 PM: Panel III: Policies and Planning for Emerging Industries: New Mobility, Cloud Computing, and Synthetic Biology
- Nigel Cory, Associate Director for Trade Policy, Information Technology and Innovation Foundation [Testimony]
- Jason Kelly, Co-Founder and CEO, Ginkgo Bioworks [Testimony]
- Joanna Moody, Research Program Manager, MIT Energy Initiative Mobility Systems Center [Testimony]
2:45 PM – 2:55 PM: Break
2:55 PM – 4:25 PM: Panel IV: China’s Pursuit of Leadership in Digital Currency
- Martin Chorzempa, Senior Fellow, Peterson Institute for International Economics [Testimony]
- Yaya Fanusie, Adjunct Senior Fellow, Center for a New American Security [Testimony]
- Samantha Hoffman, Senior Analyst, Australian Strategic Policy Institute Cyber Center [Testimony]
4:25 PM – 4:30 PM: Closing Remarks
4:30 PM: Adjourn