October 12, 2001
PARTICIPANTS and TESTIMONY:
- Mr. Kenneth W. Allen, Kenneth Allen is a Research Analyst at the Center for Naval Analyses Corporation, where he focuses on Chinese national security issues. Previously, he served as a Senior Analyst at TASC, a Senior Associate at the Henry L. Stimson Center, Executive Vice President of the US-Taiwan Business Council, and served 21 years in the U.S. Air Force, including being the Assistant Air Force Attaché in China from 1987-1989. He has written several books and articles on China's military. He received a BA from the University of California at Davis, a BA from the University of Maryland in Asian Studies, and an MA from Boston University in International Relations.
- Rodney Jones, President of Policy Architects International, Reston, VA, and the principal author of Tracking Nuclear Proliferation: A Guide in Maps and Charts, 1998 (Carnegie Endowment for International Peace).
- Michael McDevitt, RADM, USN (ret), Director, Center for Strategic Studies, CNA Corporation
- Gary Milhollin, Professor Emeritus, University of Wisconsin Law School and Director, Wisconsin Project on Nuclear Arms Control
- Kenneth R. Timmerman
- Dr. Jing-dong Yuan, Senior Research Associate, Monterey Institute of International Studies, Center for Nonproliferation Studies
Dr. Jing-dong Yuan is a Senior Research Associate at the Center for Nonproliferation Studies (CNS), Monterey Institute of International Studies, where he also teaches Chinese politics and Northeast Asian security and arms control issues. A graduate of Queen's University where he obtained his Ph.D. degree in political science, Dr. Yuan also has a Master's degree in international affairs from Carleton University, and has had teaching and research appointments at the University of British Columbia, York University, the University of Toronto, and Queenís University. In 1999, he was a visiting scholar at the Cooperative Monitoring Center, Sandia National Laboratories. Dr. Yuan's researches focus on Asia-Pacific security issues, Sino-Indian relations, Chinese defense and foreign policy, and global arms control and nonproliferation regimes. His recent publications appear in Asian Survey, Janeís Intelligence Review, and Korean Journal of Defense Analysis. He is currently working on book-length manuscripts on Sino-US military relations and the evolving Sino-Indian strategic relationship.